Starting now until October 1st, every new membership purchase or renewal (at $20/yearly) comes with one limited edition artist multiple canvas tote featuring the work of Shellie Zhang! Evoking the imagery of Chinatown markets, and housefold drawers full of saved plastic bags, Thank you is a reusable take on a familiar cultural icon.
By uniting both past and present iconography with the techniques of mass communication, language and sign, Zhang’s work deconstructs notions of tradition, gender, identity, the diaspora, and popular culture while calling attention to these subjects in the context and construction of a multicultural society. She is interested in exploring how integration, diversity and assimilation is implemented and negotiated, how this relates to lived experiences, and how culture is learned and relearned.
What’s more, becoming a member of AKA Artist-Run comes with a host of benefits that purchasing a tote elsewhere may not otherwise afford you. Members have the opportunity to:
- Nominate yourself or someone else to the Board
- Vote on Board nominations, policy, and financial decisions at our AGM
- Sit on a Board committee
- Participate in Member projects
- Book the gallery for self-directed projects at no cost
- Secure reduced rates for Event Space bookings
- Request a studio visit or advice for funding applications
- Access AKA’s library of periodicals, publications, and multiples
- Support AKA and artist-run culture
Those interested are encouraged to pop by the office to pay in person. Live out of province but would still like a membership? Shoot us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org so we can discuss an arrangement for shipping. Otherwise, memberships can be purchased online.
You can also pick up your tote bag and renew or purchase your membership at our AKA Member Appreciation BBQ on Wednesday July 24th at 5pm.