AKA artist-run is seeking applications for a one year contract position, with the option of renewal, in the role of Locals Only Project Coordinator. The role supports the coordination of collaborative programming and administration for Locals Only, between AKA and CHEP Good Food Inc., in addition to numerous community partners. The ideal candidate is hospitable, collaboratively minded and has an organized yet flexible approach to the ongoing evolution of the project, working with national and local artists, youth and numerous communities stakeholders. The role requires that the candidate works in offices located at AKA and CHEP Good Food Inc., as well as at site-specific programming locations.
Developed by Justin Langlois, for AKA artist-run in collaboration with CHEP Good Food Inc., Locals Only is a large-scale multi-year art project that explores food security, community-led resource development, and intergenerational exchange in Saskatoon’s core neighbourhood of Riversdale. As one of the oldest neighbourhoods in the city, Riversdale hosts some of the most diverse and culturally rich communities in the region, and yet is simultaneously facing unprecedented pressures from encroaching gentrification along with long-standing challenges related to accessing locally-sourced sustenance. The project responds to these critical issues in the form of a mobile fresh food market truck that deploys socially engaged art, local knowledge, and long-form hospitality to cultivate a community-based exploration of reciprocity by redeploying symbolic representations of gentrification into the hands of longtime community residents.
CHEP Good Food Inc. is a 27-year old charitable organization based in the Saskatoon neighbourhood of Riversdale with significant expertise in food-based community development through working with children, families and communities to improve access to good food and promoting food security. CHEP believes that food is a basic right and that a community development approach that brings people together around good food is essential.
Locals Only is one of 200 exceptional projects funded through the Canada Council for the Arts’ New Chapter initiative. With this $35 million initiative, the Council supports the creation and sharing of the arts in communities across Canada.
Locals Only Project Coordinator
25,000/annum, Part Time
25 hours/week, 1-year contract, Flexible Start Date (summer 2017)
2 weeks paid vacation
Health Benefits provided through SaskCulture Inc.
- build and maintain connections locally within the diverse communities of Saskatoon
- organize and host public events that are inclusive and accessible
- prepare and distribute promotional material (advertisements, brochures, posters, invitations)
- Update and maintain website
- Update and maintain social media initiatives
- Assist in the planning, coordination and distribution of a national publication
- General correspondence (as is relevant to areas of responsibility)
- Coordination of travel, accommodation for visiting artists
- maintaining schedules and timelines for the overall project, as well as individual programming events
- identify and develop fundraising or sponsorship opportunities in collaboration with staff at AKA and CHEP
- assist with grant writing as required
- an undergraduate degree in a related field or commensurate experience and demonstrated knowledge of contemporary art and its practices and/or community/business planning, or project development
- Demonstrated knowledge, interest and understanding of collaborative approaches to community development and engagement/participation with diverse and varied communities
- Project coordination and management experience
- Excellent organizational, communication and time management skills with the ability to prioritize multiple tasks
- Intermediate to advanced experience with MS Office Suite (Word, Excel,
- PowerPoint), Adobe InDesign and Photoshop, WordPress, and social media platforms.
- A strong work ethic, initiative and excellent problem solving abilities
- The ability to work flexible hours including evenings and weekends
- A driver’s license and access to a vehicle
- Interest in and understanding of food sovereignty as a community issue
AKA Artist-Run Centre is an equal opportunity employer and we encourage applicants from a diversity of backgrounds. Interested applicants should apply by sending a cover letter and CV by email to Tarin Hughes, Executive Director firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject heading “Locals Only Project Coordinator” by July 4, 11:59 pm CST. Only candidates selected for interview will be contacted.